Pages

Lucy Mills has moved!

You'll find all this content, plus more, over at http://lucy-mills.com.


Saturday 14 August 2010

cream tea theology

When having a cream tea, I tend to put the cream on first and then the jam.  My husband, however, puts the jam on first and then the cream. (I read recently that is the difference between Devon and Cornish cream teas, but can't be certain).  Both of us have recently developed a taste for raspberry jam instead of strawberry.

I would venture to say that neither of these differences make it no longer a cream tea.  Doing things in a different order, and preferring a different flavour, do not change the fact that it is a cream tea.  However, eliminate the cream and it's a whole different kettle of fish tea.

I never used to like cream much and would ask for two scones, jam and butter instead.  Or, 'a cream tea without the cream'.  However, both I and the waiter/waitress probably knew that what I was asking for was not, at heart, a cream tea.  It lacked an essential identification mark.

(I should add that I am using this as an analogy.  I always say that if you stretch an analogy too hard it will pop, and in this case that would mean cream all over the place).

Order and flavour can differ, but they're not identity changers.  But a cream tea without the cream?

It just ain't a cream tea.



"If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith." - 1 Corinthians 15:14


Picture: from Wikipedia, by Liyster


1 comment:

Angela said...

Jam then cream for both of us. Thank you!

"The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."- Richard Foster