Pages

Lucy Mills has moved!

You'll find all this content, plus more, over at http://lucy-mills.com.


Monday 23 August 2010

hand holding is underrated

If you're squeamish you may need not to read this post.

Had a biopsy on that little triangle of skin in the corner of my eye on Friday.  It's just like a freckle, really, but they wanted to check it out.  Suffice to say it was a horrible experience.  Once you've had your eye washed out with cleaning fluid and are lying blinking and streaming, with a bright light added to the equation, that's when they stick a needle in your eye.  Well, that little corner piece of skin, anyway.  It was that part (the local anaesthetic) that was most misery-ating (I know, not a word, but it is in my disctionary).  The stinging pain in the corner of the eye is not one you can remove yourself from and I'm afraid I don't even know if my eye was merely watering profusely or I was actually crying.

It's the first time I've had a surgeon wipe away my tears.

They were very nice, although I did get a premonitory twinge when the nurse stationed herself ready to hold my hand.  Hand holding is underrated; I was very glad to cling to her.

I was also given a cup of tea afterwards.  Did I look that bad?

Now I'm praying that it comes back clear so I don't have to go through it again.

As usual in having an experience like that I can't help but be reminded of those who have to have unpleasant procedures like this on a frequent basis. Er.  Almost wrote that it was an eye-opening experience, with no intentional pun.  Ugh.

But you get the point.

Ack.

Am stopping now.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Praying with you that it comes back clear.

angie said...

you have my prayers that everything is normal.

Elizabethd said...

Mine too.

LA said...

And mine...

Lucy Mills said...

Well, they said they'd call me if there were any problems. They haven't. So I'm guessing no news is good news...

"The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."- Richard Foster