Pages

Lucy Mills has moved!

You'll find all this content, plus more, over at http://lucy-mills.com.


Tuesday 18 March 2008

watching birds

Saw a coal tit this morning on one of the seed feeders. It was only there briefly, but as it was on the feeder closest to the kitchen window I got a good view. Was pleased to see it as I haven't seen one for some time, although there were two of them around last year. Then the blue tits arrived as per usual. They were in turn replaced by one of the dunnocks. Our garden birds are like siblings of a certain age - we have no less than three seed feeders, one very long with ample perches, but if another feathered friend has focused its attention on one, they all want to feed from that one. The dunnocks have mastered the art of perching on the seed feeders despite being ground feeding birds. So has the robin. The robin has taken it one step further and dangles dangerously upside down on the fat-ball feeder, before losing grip. The blackbird, of course, can't manage this but when I had hung up some yoghurt pots with fat cake in them, would position himself directly below, fly straight up, grab a bit, and land back on the ground again. (I get the feeling I've mentioned this before, but never mind.) I had filled up some margarine tubs with fat cake which went down a treat with just about everyone - but haven't made one up for a while.

Well, that was my roundabout way of saying it was nice to see a coal tit this morning. Have not seen any goldfinches in our garden since that one time,although I did see one perched happily in a tree outside Borders when I was in town recently, singing and trilling and hopping about. I stood for a while, looking up in the tree. I don't know what the passers-by thought. But what's life if you don't have time to watch a beautiful goldfinch in a tree, hmm?

Album of the Moment: Muse, Absolution
Currently (re)reading: Jasper Fforde, Lost in a Good Book

No comments:

"The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."- Richard Foster