Pages

Lucy Mills has moved!

You'll find all this content, plus more, over at http://lucy-mills.com.


Wednesday 16 December 2009

the need for pause

I've put 'writing' aside until after Christmas, so that I had time to get everything prepared that needs doing.  I received a reminder from my tutor recently about making sure I'm working on several writing projects that are not official 'assignments' and on receiving this email I started getting twitchy...realising I was missing writing, even if it is only a temporary lull.  I realised I was suffering a kind of withdrawal, and had to flick through my 'ideas' pages, to remind myself of all the things I'll be able to work on next year.  Still, I'm feeling somewhat agitated without it.  I suppose that's a good thing?!

So easy to get harried and harrassed by Christmas preparations...to almost see it as an inconvenience - not because of the occasion itself, but because of all that comes with it, and time spent on sorting and preparing and...  Any one else in danger of feeling this way?

I have to take time out to remind myself this is advent, not a time of panic but a time of preparation. 

To try and...

Light a candle. Put on some soothing music. Stop, for just a moment.

What do you do to break out of the 'manic' and remind yourself of the specialness of the season, instead of the busyness...?

Instead of unhelpful expectations of things that really don't matter, in the big scheme of things?

In order to focus on the things that do matter?

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I try to get all of my Christmas preparations out of the way by the beginning of December, so I can relax and enjoy/reflect on the season. (I realize that this is probably late advice!)

I, too, find that I miss writing if I'm away from it for any great length of time. Oddly enough, though, it also makes it harder to get started on it again if I haven't written in a while. Hopefully that won't be the case for you! (Somehow, I doubt it.)

Hope you can continue to find those quiet moments in this busy season. :-)

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

We put on Christmas music at our house and watch some Christmas movies--Hallmark Channel has some good ones. Also have some Christmas videos we like watching as well.

Just do a little at a time and enjoy the preparations!

Anonymous said...

Hot scented bath with music and a glass of something nice?
By the way, this thing is giving me trouble again; it's saying I don't own my identity hence I've had to go anonymous.
Christmas blessings!
Viv
from http://zenandtheartoftightropewalking.wordpress.com

Melissa B. said...

We're trying to keep Christmas low-key this year. From decorations, to gifts, and even to the Christmas meal. Most of our family won't be home 'til the 27th, so we're doing the big deal that day...

"The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."- Richard Foster