Pages

Lucy Mills has moved!

You'll find all this content, plus more, over at http://lucy-mills.com.


Thursday 21 October 2010

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

In an impulsive act of utter madness, I have signed myself up for this November's National Novel Writing Month. To stop myself taking it too seriously (and therefore freezing up entirely) I have decided to blog the novel as I write it. I want to do it for the sake of it, and do it in a light-hearted way. I am not going to get stressed about people stealing my work simply because it's on the internet (I'm not that sure they'd want to!!)

The whole purpose of NaNoWriMo is that you simply write - no editing, just writing. Inevitably, some parts will indeed be rubbish, as they will be raw and uncrafted. For those of you who desire to follow along - please remember this! I am aiming simply to take one day at a time and see how I go - 'winners' of NaNoWriMo write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. How many thousands of words you'll see from me, I don't yet know.

Oddly instead of panicking me I feel rather refreshed by it. In a sense, I'm taking a month off from normality and focussing on something different. I am splurging out words - words which may well be cheesy, ill-formed and full of historical errors - but it will be interesting to see what those words do.

If you want to follow along or subscribe, you can find it here: http://almostalady-novel.blogspot.com
You never know, if I get into the project, you may be barraged with entries (if you decide to follow the other blog) throughout November. You have been warned.

I feel an odd sensation of freedom. I am so often protective of my words, unhappy to reveal them unless they have gone through a fine tuning process, reluctant to be silly or write something that is less than the gloriously literary novel of my ambition.

Well, I'm chucking that ambition out of the window for November.

Be prepared for the chaff and the grain all mixed up...and tread lightly. I will need encouragers!




National Novel Writing Month

1 comment:

Tara Lamont said...

Best of luck with the project. I wonder if I should give it a go too?

"The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."- Richard Foster